Life is crazy sometimes. Crazy, and funny, and sad, and frustrating, and all together good. While many of you can appreciate life with little kids, I'm sure that most of you would just like to catch up with us. We all live so far away, that we miss the day to day happenings, and this is a small way of trying to keep everyone connected. We'd love to hear from you, so please feel free to post comments.

Please feel free to share the blog, but don't publish the pictures or contents without my permission. Thanks.


Friday, May 9, 2008

Hippie Fashion

I found this beautiful set while exploring on etsy the other day:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=11548656

...but I didn't want to pay that much because I'm cheap like that with sewing.

I had never done shirring, but it looked easy enough, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I found a tutorial on one of the blogs I read:

http://houseonhillroad.typepad.com/

I also made a quick trip to Joanns for the elastic thread and a bias tape maker.

Then....I made the pattern - for all it was worth.



It took me about 4 hours to make the top, partly because the shirring took some fiddling. I'm super happy with it. I made the pants from a pattern because I can never get the rise correct on my own. She's happy with it, and I like it also. She wore it for the Mother's Day program at school today....because they don't hate me enough already.






Here's the run-down on the materials:

  • Jeans from an old pair of mine that are, of course, too small - and too tapered in the leg
  • yellow floral fabric - curtain I got at Goodwill for $.50 (washed first)
  • white eyelet fabric leftover from a project
  • pink dots (bias tape also in this) 1/4 yard from Joanns
  • Red tie fabric - remnant I had
  • Rick rack - from my stash
  • Flower - from my scrapbooking supplies

Total cost to make (including bias tape maker & thread): $ 7.50

No comments: