Life is crazy sometimes. Crazy, and funny, and sad, and frustrating, and all together good. While many of you can appreciate life with little kids, I'm sure that most of you would just like to catch up with us. We all live so far away, that we miss the day to day happenings, and this is a small way of trying to keep everyone connected. We'd love to hear from you, so please feel free to post comments.

Please feel free to share the blog, but don't publish the pictures or contents without my permission. Thanks.


Thursday, March 13, 2008

Colon Blow Pancakes

About 50% of my day consists of trying to make food that my children will eat. Healthy food. Not crap. It's become close to an obsession, especially with Nina. She will eat practically every fruit and vegetable that I put in front of her, but she refuses to eat meat. Every now and then, I force the issue, but mostly, I'm left with the daunting task of being creative with food. I'm not good at it. I don't enjoy it. In fact, there is such a lackluster response for my cooking, that I've given up trying all together.....with this one exception. A few years ago, I came up with this pancake recipe that's not half bad. Blake and I call them "colon blow" pancakes, but Nina and Asher both love them. Here is my recipe.


1 cup multi grain pancake mix
1 cup oatmeal
2-3 Tbs. Flax seed meal
2-3 Tbs. oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg
1 cup skim milk (or whatever is needed to get it right)
a dash of vanilla
frozen blueberries (for Asher)
chocolate chips (for Nina) I tried carob chips once, but they were gross

Make the pancakes as you normally would. These are dense, not super light and fluffy.

No comments: