Life is crazy sometimes. Crazy, and funny, and sad, and frustrating, and all together good. While many of you can appreciate life with little kids, I'm sure that most of you would just like to catch up with us. We all live so far away, that we miss the day to day happenings, and this is a small way of trying to keep everyone connected. We'd love to hear from you, so please feel free to post comments.

Please feel free to share the blog, but don't publish the pictures or contents without my permission. Thanks.


Thursday, March 20, 2008

Raising a "Type A" child


Nina's teacher pulled me aside the other day and said, "She must be a real challenge to parent". Oh cripe. What did she do now? I just smiled and gave my token answer, "I just keep telling myself that she'll be a really confident adult". At least that's what I hope.


Nina has always had very definite ideas about how things should be. And it's just easier if we all go along with it because there will be no peace until it's the way that she's designed it. It might seem a wimpy way of parenting, but we pick our battles. She has a very acute attention to detail, very good color matching skills, and a most annoying sense of order.


My mom made her this beautiful Alice in Wonderland costume, which Nina promptly returned because Gigi forgot to put pockets in the apron; therefore, it was unfit to be worn until that problem was fixed. Gigi also sent her a stuffed hippo for Easter. I opened the box before Nina got home from school and peeked inside. I saw the hippo and thought about removing it because I knew exactly what would happen. She would want a tutu for the hippo to wear. So, I stood there, staring at the hippo, weighing how long it would take me to make a hippo tutu and if it was even worth it. I let her have the darn hippo, and I spent some time last night making a tutu for it. She also wants hippo ballet slippers, but I "think" I have her convinced that hippos toes are much too delicate to be wrapped up in shoes. They simply cannot dance properly if they have to wear those clumsy shoes with lots of ribbons.

No comments: